A metal roof is an extremely versatile solution. The low weight of the material allows its installation on almost any structure, regardless of its strength.
Whether you are planning to build a new roof or you need to change your existing roof, one of the most effective solutions is to install a metal roof. Given the variety of options offered by manufacturers, in order to successfully complete such an investment it is recommended to be very well informed, from the very beginning.
General presentation of metal roofing
When we talk about metal roofs, we are rather referring to the cover solution, although a metal structure can be a part of the project too. As you will discover during this article, metal roofs are extremely efficient and provide very good value for the money you pay.
Although there are both advantages and disadvantages related to metal roofing, just like in the case of other roofing options, according to Dallas commercial roofing contractor pros, there are certainly many more positives that often overshadow the cons.
Unlike other roofing solutions, a metal roof stands out with a number of great features that cannot be overlooked. So, here are the pros that you need to consider when opting for such a roof:
- Extended warranty period: Depending on the material and the manufacturer, there are metal roofs that can last between 40 and 70 years, with minimum maintenance. If you take into account that bituminous shingles must be changed once every 20 years, you can understand the actual value of a metal roof.
- Resistance in extreme weather conditions: Metal roofs will successfully withstand even the harshest weather conditions. Thus, they will be able to withstand strong winds (over 200km / h), they will not change their shape or properties following strong impacts and, if properly maintained, they will not be attacked by corrosion.
- Metal roofs not put pressure on the structure of the house: Metal roofs are lightweight compared to most other roofing solutions, so they can even be installed on existing roofs, without tearing down the old materials. Concrete tiles can weigh up to 20 kg/ sqm, while metal roofing weighs between 2.5 and 7 kg/ sqm – now that`s a notable difference, even without considering that there are roofing materials heavier than concrete tiles!
- Quick and easy installation: A single sheet metal plate generally covers 1.5 sqm of roof. Being lightweight and extremely malleable, the installation time of the roof will decrease quite significantly, and this will also translate into easier transport and lower labor costs.
- Drainage and impermeability: The metal surface of the roof will help drain water and also prevent the accumulation of snow on the building. In addition, even without a waterproofing system, it will not allow water infiltrations, protecting the entire structure of the house.
- Low costs: Compared to other types of roofing, metal roofing is an economical product. It has higher upfront costs than asphalt roofing, but with high performance in terms of durability and average service life (which can reach even over 50 years!), you will make economies in the long run.